Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On costume sketches, and preparing to make a costume. (Shanoa related)

Before diving into a new project, I love to have my research assembled first.  Granted, everyone has a different approach when beginning a costume -- but, being organized versus not makes a huge difference.  If you can't visualize the design in a three dimensional state, on your body or someone else's -- forget it!  How can you conceptualize and understand it, if you haven't bothered to think about it?  So this is where I like to begin.

This entails browsing the internet for various original artworks, fan works, in game screen-shots, etc.  I also put in a considerable amount of research on the costume if it's already been created.  This can save on some time.  Sometimes problems have already been worked out, (Thank you cosplayers~) and it's really to your benefit to analyze what others have done.  If you like the way someone made their armor, but like the dress from a different costume, etc -- mass what you like together and take notes.

With a solid folder of visual references, I can then thumb through anything I've collected, and start notes for myself.

Of course, you can't always anticipate a construction problem when you start building, so it's best to expect things might go wrong so you don't frustrate yourself into a hole.  Expecting to get it perfect the first time is not a good mind-set to haveTo learn anything, sometimes you just have to mess up a little, you know?  Keeping that in mind, don't fret if you've messed something up and have to start over.  One of the worst situations you can be in while crafting is to be stressed out, desperately trying to fix what you've done and sweating bullets because you've destroyed it.  Likely, you will end up screwing up again, in that state.  If you're mind is clouded and frustrated, S-T-O-P.  Take a few deep breaths, nosh on something tasty, and distract yourself with something else for a bit.  Come back to the project with your head clear and relaxed!  You want to do a good job on your project, so don't make it a horrible experience for yourself.  Problem solving, even at the worst of times -- use it!  Be fearless and keep trying!

My beginning phases go a little like this:

1) Assemble research, photographs, drawings, etc.  I tend to keep some on my computer, and print out a few and post them on my cork-board in my studio.

2) Make sketches on costume, front, side and back -- take notes, note decorative elements, color swatch, etc.  Sometimes it's nice to sit down and complete a fully colored render, but it isn't necessary.  Just a clean line drawing will suffice at this point.

3) Break down costume into groups (Gloves, dress, armor, etc), note on materials I might consider using.  I also sometimes start the more difficult parts first, and leave the things I consider easy for later.  This gives me more time to really grind out the parts that are likely going to give me trouble.  (For instance, I'll likely start Shanoa's armor first.)

4) Fabric swatch w/ your references, and its shopping time.  Also doesn't hurt to buy a little more of each material.  Therefore, you're saved from multiple trips to the fabric store.  Unless of course, you love racing to the store last second, only to find out that beautiful/perfect/amazing material you purchased is sold out.


Today I'll work on a few design sketches for Shanoa w/notes, and if I feel like it, I may scan it and fiddle with it digitally as well.  Eventually I'll be repeating this same process with Albus also, but likely after I start Shanoa.  Back later with updates. :3

Cheers,

-- Ely

3 comments:

  1. Those are very good points! I first-handedly faced the 4) while working on Edgeworth-costume with my cosplay-partner, we found perfect and well-prized fabric but we were cheap and bought just for the coat. Then, when we went back a month later to get same fabric for pants, and it was all sold out with no re-stocks >_< it's always good to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SilkieReli, thank you for the comment first and foremost! :3

    I think we've all faced #4. It has to be one of the most frustrating parts of putting costumes together when you're still gaining experience doing so. I can't count how many times I just cut something wrong even, and was short of fabric. ;__; Sad times!

    Of course, no one really enjoys throwing money away on fabric they won't necessarily need, but at least you can have peace of mind you'll have enough in case things happen!

    I would love to see the Edgeworth costume if possible! I do love fellow Ace Attorney fans. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Also, I just now realized I've got some of your pictures in my dA faves! Apologize that I didn't connect that sooner. Awesome Edgy, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete