Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fiddling~

For someone who used to draw everyday, I realize I am now pretty sluggish at it!  Maybe just I over-think what I'm drawing, or I'm distracted.  Perhaps with some practice, I'll come out of that and can work a bit faster.

At any rate, I'd like to have some sketch/planning work up soon, so that starting next month I can move into the materials phase.  I'd love to do that right away (Doesn't everyone?!) but money is an issue, and I'd like to wait until my finances are locked down after school starts.

I'm hoping to get a Photoshop tutorial in with my husband; not so much on the basics, but maybe a little more advanced?  Like how to clean up line work, how to use the pen tool, tips on rendering, etc.  I feel that the digital age is on us here, and as a budding designer, you have to keep up with it or get left behind.  So hopefully we can work something out for an evening!

As far as material choices, I've already decided on a few things.  I'll be ordering a large/jumbo sheet of Wonderflex to mold the breastplate... and, since I'm at it, I'll be purchasing leather locally as well.  Why leather?  Because I notice that the sheen in the artwork is definitely leather, and also noted that no one has attempted this on their costume.  It must be a price issue, or perhaps a inability to work with it.  Seeing as I've made several formed leather items over the last year, I'm not afraid to try.  Should be interesting!  I feel that leather will be a fun, realistic touch for this costume -- and I do love a challenge!  And it sure solves the issue of surfacing the breastplate/greaves.  I will likely be using a soft, pliable treated leather for this, some rubber cement, etc.  I'm not sure how I'll build the gold 'leaf-like' designs in the central parts of the plate, but perhaps once I start an idea will strike me.  I have a few ideas that could work very well.

Overall, definitely going to start Shanoa's armor first, and once I have a decided on the garment material, I will begin the dress simultaneously.  I'd like to tackle how to fasten the armor to the dress -- and I'd love to avoid velcro.  Ick!

Also. D: I need to get back on the horse with working out! It's been hot here in Los Angeles, and even with the A/C running the in apartment, it's not a very encouraging (Or safe) environment to work out in.  Doing really fantastic with my eating habits of late -- so if I could just smush the two together, I'd have a good formula for weight loss going.

Enough of me, back to life --

-- Ely

No comments:

Post a Comment