Saturday, March 10, 2012

Castlevania OoE: Starting Shanoa costume construction!

Hey all!

Figured it was time for an update.  It's been another busy week at school, but Thursday ended up being a nightmare from the get-go (Yay to waking up with distorted vision -- thanks so much, migraine...) but I seem to be doing better now.  It's high time that I get back into a regular exercise routine, and start taking more care over my eating habits, and when I choose to go to bed.  Unfortunately, migraines spring up and strike me like some invisible force, and I need to figure out how to prevent them a bit better.

For once, I'm making my costume goals this year happen!  I'm happy to say that I have most of more costly materials I need to start working on my Shanoa costume, (I will do the sewing portion later, buy fabric, etc) so in the next week or so I will actually start patterning, forming, and creating her breastplate, greaves and hip armor.  I found out that a supplier of Wonderflex have a location nestled in North Hollywood, so my beau and I took a little trip and I picked some up. (43" by 55" for $43.95!)

Last Friday, a friend and I also made a trip to SavMor Leather (Downtown Los Angeles), and I nabbed two lovely chocolate brown pig hides for the armor as well.  The idea is to make the base forms from Wonderflex, line with foam and felt, and then cover the outer with real leather.  I've worked with this method on smaller projects (Masks), and it looks gorgeous!  Originally I was planning to use vinyl, but somehow the leather ended up being the cheaper option?  ( ゚Д゚)? Who would think I would walk out with enough leather for this project for under $30... cray cray.

I have the wig and contracts as well, so pretty soon I'll post some make-up tests.  The wig came a little bent around the bottom length, but I can easily fix this by hanging it in the shower, and spraying some semi-hot water on it.  The slight heat and weight of the water should straighten it without having to fiddle with any hot tools.

All in all, I need maybe another $40 to purchase a few more materials and I should be set for Shanoa.  The fabric, lining, and feathers are all I really need at this point.

OFFICIALLY, the Pirate England commission is finished.  I'll be taking some pictures and posting the final result here pretty soon.  I'm super happy with it -- final update soon!

Cheers all and back to my creative cave,

-- Ely

2 comments:

  1. Hi- Just happen to find you....enjoyed reading. Glad to hear you seem to like WONDERFLEX. Have you ever worked with FOSSHAPE? I think "A Fabric Agenda" in Burbank also carries my WONDERFLEX.
    www.wonderflexworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Thermoman!

      Thank you for the comment, and what a surprise to find you had stumbled upon my hobby blog! I have been a user of WONDERFLEX for four years or so, and I have recommended it to many costumers, cosplayers and students alike. I simply love the product and what it can do! Last semester I had my whole class working with it (We all made masks), so I am just happy to get it's name out there and raise awareness for it.

      I haven't tried FOSSHAPE, but the next time I build a hat, I will likely do so. Sometimes buckram framing can be a pain and a mess -- so maybe your Fosshape product would be a good alternative to this?

      Thank you again for your time! I will definitely check out "A Fabric Agenda" in Burbank for Wonderflex.

      Cheers,

      -- Elysium

      Delete