Sunday, September 18, 2011

Commission Project: Pirate England (Hetalia) -- Update I

To all my costume nerdlets,

So I've been super busy with the last half month, since I've been back in classes.  On top of a 40+ hour a week schedule, I'm also working steadily at home on a commission (Hetalia, Pirate England) that I see will take me at least another 100+ into completion.  The latter hasn't been hitch free, since my first trip downtown to find material for the pirate coat was a complete bust.  It was a disappointing trip, but at least now that I have had some time to think on it, I know what to buy.

You have no idea how hard it is to find non-stretch velvet, oi... At least $5.00 a yard isn't terrible?  Sometimes it's much easier to call around and ask.  The fabric district within the garment district of L.A is no joke -- it's huge.  Walking around all day, trying to barter for a better price do not a happy Elysium make.

Well, I found a few places with the right color, and bartering will definitely ensue!  I will settle with $5 a yard, if all else fails.  Still considering what to do with the inner part of the coat for lining, but I see that a dark steely blue, or desaturated royal blue (Whether flat, or patterned) will look brilliant.  I had my eye on some silk dupioni that might be a nice addition.
Left to build:
  1. Restoration-era coat w/large cuffs, collar & lapels
  2. Poet shirt w/lace cuffs
  3. Pirate Hat w/feathers and lace
  4. Gold epaulets w/tassels
  5. Lacey cravat
And yikes, my deadline is somewhere in the first week of October.  I was shooting for Oct 1st, but I might need a few extra days extra.  We shall see!
Right now, I'm in the process of creating a poet shirt with full shapely sleeves, ruffled cuffs (w/ lace) and a matching cravat to top it off.  I already have my eye on a nice cravat brooch, so I hope to throw that into the mix as well.  All of the adornments and ruffly lace are going to make it loads of pretty.  I hope Raven will love it!  I foresee finishing most of that today, so progress pictures will be up. ^o^

I need to tackle that hat soon.  Don't think I will be able to make it huge, since it needs to fit into a box, lol! But I'll definitely be pushing it's limits anyways.  I can't wait to coat it in fancy things.  I've even had my eye on a mini gold unicorn pin for the hat.  (As an inside joke for the character)

Also, had a couple of inquiries on Ace Attorney badges, so I'll be filling those orders into next month.  I'm really happy to share my work with others at an affordable price -- and the compliments on my work mean so much to me.

Cheers for now,

- Ely

No comments:

Post a Comment