With 27 days or so until AX 2012, and just under 3 weeks until my best friend comes from B.C to visit... I am so beyond excited! It's been about a year since I've seen her, and it's honestly been the only thing I've really been looking forward to since the beginning of my school year. L.A. is a huge place, and what we didn't do/see last time, we'll surely try to squeeze in. It'll be nice to kick back and enjoy our time together! I just hope the weather won't turn unbearably hot while she's here, but if all else fails, we'll run the A/C and eat popsicles in front of it. xD;
I'm around 60% with my Shanoa cosplay, with the major parts just being the dress left to sew, and drafting my greaves and cuisses. (The upper leg armor) The hip armor (Stylized tassets) is complete and are awaiting to be put together and riveted to the breastplate. I've got a few things coming in the mail before I can proceed with the rivets, though. I ended up ordering a PVC display mannequin (30") leg to do my lower greaves, because I don't like the idea of free-forming Wonderflex to my leg (Over a boot). It felt like the right thing to do, to get two perfectly identical greaves. :3 Also for $20, it's not a big deal and I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it.
Still much to do, but I have loads of time being out of school for the summer~
I have a few progress pictures and pre-drafts of my hip armor, but it doesn't all make sense until you see the final product. I used the same method as the breast plate by using Wonderflex as an inner support, felted both sides, and covered the outer with matching brown leather. The dotted line on the pattern is for the shorter sections of the armor. I didn't want to cut 6 full patterns, as the upper two are overlapped and only the bottom is full-sized. It sits nicer on my thighs this way too, with less bulk.
The rolled sheet metal was used to give me a nice curve to the armor pieces. It's funny what you can do with stuff you have lying about your house! Since these pictures, I have them covered in leather and ready to attach. I will update that in a day or two once I receive the supplies I need.
Update: I'm adding a couple of the 'mostly finished' tassets! (At bottom) They came out pretty great -- all I have to do is fasten them together, and create the strap to connect to the breastplate. Woo!
- Draft lower greaves, and cuisses -- attach with brass split-pins. (0%)
- Attach hip armor (stylized tassets) to finished breastplate. (95%)
Draft, sew dress together & lining -- add controlled fray to bottom hem. (60%)
- Gloves --
add feathers (Detachable)and elastic cross-gartering. (95%) Collar -- baste pinned areas & attach hook and eyes. (100%) Make below knee to upper thigh brown legging w/zippers. (100%)
- Shape & texturize 40" black wig. (0%)
That's all for now, lovelies! Hope all in anticipation of the convention season are making good progress on costumes as well. Keep it up. :3 Cheers!